designing a drifting shoe

FindJDM_s14

Spectator
I'm designing a affordable and extremely functional drifting shoe for the weekend drifter.(like you guys!) I'm doing this for one of my studio classes. So with that said can you help me by answering the questions below and post comments of what you think? Thank you.:bigthumbu

What got you into drifting to begin with?
What is your age and when did you start drifting?
Why do you do this sport?
What are the benefits in drifting?
What would you like to see on this affordable drift shoe?
What features should the shoe have?
What are the problems you are having with your shoes when your drifting?
Does price matter?
How can this drift shoe help you improve your drifting skills?
What would a drift shoe look like in your eyes?
What colors can interpolate the word "Drift"?
What do you want in a drift shoe?
Would you like the drift shoe to have laces? Why?

If you want, post some sketches with your comment explaining your ideas and thoughts.

Last edited:
harnessOUTNOW.gif

drifting shoes = better angle

funny to both comments but seriously....
The shoe is suppose to be affordable, comfortable, safe, and allow you to have more pedal feel, which for some drifters, is a important thing to have as they better their skills in the sport.

well i drift in steel toe workshoes lolol thats probly why I suck

Cars going vroom vroom and tires going scree scree, what sound smoke again?

I am 21 and I started officially when I was 17

Tracks, the occasional culdisack or flip a bitch

There are no benifits to drifting, you spend lots of money, you waste lots of time, you pollute the atmosphere with tire debris and exhaust fumes, you use alot of gas, you destroy used tires and make more unusable, [retty much the only thing thats good is you can make cool videos of it on teh interwebs

Hmmm Lazers would be awesome

anti gravity, and you cant forget the bazookas. Everybody needs a bazooka

Thats kinda private and shouldnt be discussed on a public forum

Does price matter?
Hell yeah we're cheap mofos, my current shoes cost me like 20bucks at walmart

idk i suck so much I suppose anything can help

It leave tire marks on the ground where ever you walk

Black and ..... ummmm the color screeeeeeeeeee I still cant remember what sound smoke makes

Like I said earlier Lazers would be awesome

Fuck laces we lives in the 21st century yo, I want some killar GI joe kung-fu grip arms holding the shoe to my achilles tendon

There is no real purpose in making a "Drift shoe." I guess all you would really need is a light weight, comfortable, durable, not too big/bulky shoe.

There is no advantage to getting a drift shoe lol.

The only benefit to drifting is the fun you have sliding, and making entertaining videos.

First off, good luck with your project!

1. What got you into drifting to begin with?
Spent my youth obsessing over two things - cars and japan. Falling into drifting was a natural progression for me.
2. What is your age and when did you start drifting?
24 i think
3. Why do you do this sport?
I will answer this question with a quote from Harri Tervola, "This is the most fun you can have with your pants on."
4. What are the benefits in drifting?
The only direct benefits I get from drifting are intrinsic in nature. The indirect benefits I receive are both intrinsic and extrinsic ranging from a sense of accomplishment after performing well in an event to the pleasure i get from meeting to and talking to new people.
5. What would you like to see on this affordable drift shoe?
I would like it to be free from gimmicks first and know that its design prioritizes function over form.
6. What features should the shoe have?
Like any good racing shoe, it should be designed to allow the driver to feel and navigate the pedals with ease, be lightweight, and be made from fire retardant materials (or at least lined with them).
7. What are the problems you are having with your shoes when your drifting?
The soles are too large which can lead to problems in my footwork.
8. Does price matter?
Of course.
9. How can this drift shoe help you improve your drifting skills?
With less worry about where my feet are relative to the pedals, I could concentrate more on split-second driving related decisions.
10. What would a drift shoe look like in your eyes?
Like any racing shoe in its basic design. To me, I rather see a quick lace type of feature where I can easily slip them on and off. This is especially important to me b/c in FL the asphalt gets very hot and by design, racing shoes have thin soles so much of that heat is felt on my feet. Also, since I work on my own car between sessions, I'd rather slip into something more protective and supportive.
11. What colors can interpolate the word "Drift"?
Green and black are what I see first, then blue and black, and then red and white (or black).
12. What do you want in a drift shoe?
Pure functionality first - i always thought a sectioned sole would be a good idea for a racing shoe (like the rubber would be separated between the toes, the center, and the heel).
13. Ahh, I already said "no" - meaning no to traditional laces. A quick lace type mechanism would be awesome though. Not straps. Like a drawstring type mechanism using flexible "rope" as the lace with locking plastic thingys (sorry) at the topmost lace hole.

i hate tires
21 started at 16 (street) 20 (tracks)
most fun you could have in a car hands down
there are none it dosn't help you get girls and it puts a hell of hole in your wallet
size 15 LMAO
mad flexable i hate hard driving shoes and a shitload of grip
size 15 skate shoes are massive sometimes my shoe hits the brakes when it shouldn't
Does price matter?
hell yeah tires are expensive and im always broke
with more pedal fell and grip i could actaully learn throttle control
just like my car all black and all buisness
black on black on black
should be ziptie stiched
yeah cause velcro is so 1992

i had a pair of these a while ago (not same model but brand) they help since they are more breathable and very light weigth with a great feel of the pedal and reinforced in the side areas and the tip for throtle control... I dont drift or i havent but i did some rally back in the day (CHILE) nothing fancy like world rally lol just local rally

sorry forgot the pic

18.jpg

nowdays i have a pair of HUGO BOSS suede shoes i bought in sawgrass mall outlet (hugo boss) that where almost similar and i have used them for drag, streetrace, bike etc...(they died after using it for bikes :( you need steel toe for motorcycles) and cost me only 40 dollars :) so price and breathbility is always an issue in any motorsport

Last edited:
i had a pair of these a while ago (not same model but brand) they help since they are more breathable and very light weigth with a great feel of the pedal and reinforced in the side areas and the tip for throtle control... I dont drift or i havent but i did some rally back in the day (CHILE) nothing fancy like world rally lol just local rally

sorry forgot the pic

18.jpg

nowdays i have a pair of HUGO BOSS suede shoes i bought in sawgrass mall outlet (hugo boss) that where almost similar and i have used them for drag, streetrace, bike etc...(they died after using it for bikes :( you need steel toe for motorcycles) and cost me only 40 dollars :) so price and breathbility is always an issue in any motorsport

converse1_blog.jpg

Best driving shoe evar!

At first i thought this thread was a joke, but i guess its serious?

this is like saying they should build drift tracks when theres drift days on race tracks... and i dont get how a track can be designed for drifting

they make racing shoes which give great pedal feel and are designed to be great for footwork... how the hell would it need to be different for drifting?

not trying to sound like an ass, but just curious

this is like saying they should build drift tracks when theres drift days on race tracks... and i dont get how a track can be designed for drifting

they make racing shoes which give great pedal feel and are designed to be great for footwork... how the hell would it need to be different for drifting?

do you know there are shoes for almost every sport in the world?? lol :laugh: you can get shoes from boxing to golf, from swimming to spacewalks .. lol sport shoes are more a trend than a gain .. yeah some of them are even carbon fiber :p :laugh::laugh: is amazing what the world can create :D!!!:bigthumbu:bigthumbu

Product Designers conceptualize and evaluate ideas, making them tangible through products in a more systematic approach. The role of a product designer encompasses many characteristics of the marketing manager, product manager, industrial designer and design engineer.The term is sometimes confused with industrial design, which defines the field of a broader spectrum of design activities, such as service design, systems design, interaction design as well as product design.[citation needed] The role of the product designer combines art, science and technology to create tangible three-dimensional goods. This evolving role has been facilitated by digital tools that allow designers to communicate, visualize and analyze ideas in a way that would have taken greater manpower in the past

Industrial design is an applied art whereby the aesthetics and usability of products may be improved for marketability and production. The role of an Industrial Designer is to create and execute design solutions towards problems of engineering, usability, marketing, brand development and sales.

General

Industrial Designers are a cross between a mechanical engineer and an artist. They study both function and form, and the connection between product and the user. They do not design the gears or motors that make machines move, or the circuits that control the movement. And usually, they partner with engineers and marketers, to identify and fulfill needs, wants and expectations.

if you want more info on what I'm doing just go to the link below...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_design
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos290.htm

your search is over!!! I have already designed a drift shoe and it is what I believe to be perfect. I let my buddy borrow them, but I will upload pics tomorrow when I get them back.

Back
Top Bottom