Wheel Tech Thread

SpdRcrChk

Spectator
Some information for those of you wantin' to learn / understand a bit more about offsets, camber, hubcentric rings, etc. There's a nice little offset calculator link at th bottom too. :thumbup:

WHEEL OFFSETS
Information provided by TireRack.com

OFFSET
The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle

offset.gif

HUBCENTRIC RINGS
Information provided by JustForWheels.com

Hubcentric rings are designed to fill in the gap between the hub of the car and the center bore of the wheel. Most wheel manufacturers design their wheels with a center bore large enough to fit on most cars. Therefore, since wheel manufacturers make their center bore large enough to fit most cars, most wheel fitments have a gap between the hub and the center bore. This gap usually doesn't allow for the wheel to fit hubcentric but rather lugcentric which causes vibration. Therefore, to fill the gap and ensure the fitment is hubcentric, hub rings are used.

rings.jpg

how1.jpg

how2.jpg

how3.jpg

how4.jpg

EVO77 from SRT forums said:
If you are going to purchase new wheels its probably a good idea to purchase hub rings as well. This will ensure that the center bore of the wheel sits flush on the hub and will avoid any vibration that may occur while driving.

There are two kinds of hub rings that can be purchased: plastic and aluminum. Some say that excessive heat from braking can cause the plastic rings to melt and warp over time. Metal rings seem to be the weapon of choice for most. To determine which size hub rings you'll need for your aftermarket wheels, first find out from the manufacturer what the center bore diameter is. This number combined with the SRT-4 hub size of 57.10 will be the size you need for your hubcentric rings.

Example: 73.0 x 57.1

Metal hub rings can be purchased from Discount Tire Direct for about $15 shipped. All you need to do is just give them the size you need.

1-888-459-4081
Mike Ext. #304

Also Helpful:WHEEL OFFSET CALCULATOR
http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

Here goes a question that may already be answered in all this but I just don't see it that clear. How does all this hub centric ring stuff plays with those of us who have spacers? I have hub centric 10 mm Eibach spacers with 18' 962 Sportmax

Last edited:
JTNismo said:
Here goes a question that may already be answered in all this but I just don't see it that clear. How does all this hub centric ring stuff plays with those of us who have spacers? I have hub centric 10 mm Eibach spacers with 18' 962 Sportmax

Is it a bolt on spacer? Does it have a lip on the inner edge to replicate the HUB bore?

Z4 pleease rspond to this. Looks like thi is my answer to my mystery vibration. LOL! Sorry to bug ya so much but you are too helpful broe!

Yes looks like you will need Hub Centric Rings. That will help will vibrations. Those are bolt on spacers? They don't looks like good quality to me. Like they don't appear to be counter sunk where they would bolt on OEM lugs.

Try this though:
Take off the wheel and spacer put the spacer on the hub, unbolted, and see if there is any play up down and around. IF so they are NOT hub centric. If no play there shouldn't be vibrartion there. Next place the spacer in the wheel and check for play. If there is play you need hub centric spacers.

If you don't know what I mean I wouldn't mind helping you check after work or one weekend. Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom