Daigo Saito vs. Justin Pawlak in the Final Four - Poor Tandem and One Battle of Words

Wrecked Magazine

The biggest news of the weekend is that Justin Pawlak’s win streak was finally put to an end by FD Asia/D1 Grand Prix champion Daigo Saito in his Achilles Tires Lexus SC430. Watching the runs you can see they had one intense battle which showed both drivers with a poor ability to follow the other in reality. The big issue was when Justin Pawlak was following he over cooked it big time and couldn’t get wrapped around (I think he should of just smashed into Daigo personally) but instead he drove back to the pits and stormed over to the Achilles Tire grid area.

JTP.Thugging1-620x412.jpg

JTP.Thugging2-620x412.jpg

The confrontation took place while Chris Forsberg and Daijiro Yoshihara did battle in the Final Four. Justin Pawlak accused Daigo of playing dirty and making a statement that he had never seen anyone drift like that before (referring to the tap of brakes at entry to add angle) and he probably even insulted Japan in the process. While no one from his own team at Falken Tire followed him to keep him in check or tell him to walk back to the pit area he finally managed to bring his unsportsmanlike conduct to a close with a pleasant ending exchange and stormed back off to his Falken pit area. I was pretty disappointed in the whole exchange and really hope one of the many media outlets videoing the exchange will post it unedited so we can share with everyone what the exchange was about. I guess we are going to have to wait at least a few more events for Formula Drift to have our Bobby Allison and Cale Yarborough (link for reference).

After tuning into the video what does everyone think of the tandem rounds between these two guys? It really looks at this point the championship race is going to come down to a JTP or Daigo championship here in Formula Drift 2012. With four events left in the championship series these guys have a demanding stronghold at the top of the points structure and I don’t see many guys having a chance to catch them unless major car troubles are ahead.

More...

white boy just mad... get over you lost.. shit happens man:chair:

i think even gittin did something like this a few runs i saw him in? gotta look at footage

I just find It funny that jtp of all people wants to bitch about brake checking. Even though he wasn't he was just shifting weight to add angle.

I personally think that the hold DA and Falken tires has had on Formula D is coming to an end with Daigo Saito being here in the US.

Now didnt they say something about someone getting fined for leaving their car. anyway who cares. wat about that ruling on dai vs forsberg?

What he has to do now is give diago space to brake check/correct his angle and
Time it right so that when he initiates he's right on him after the braking .

Conrad beat Daigo... dunno if that matters.

I couldn't see crap from grid, but I thought this was hilarious:

579683_3762585837375_372434119_n.jpg

459847_370207433041227_1886652480_o.jpg

Drivers whining about judging is the worst. I have NO idea what my runs look like from the outside of the car. Like when I watch other people drive the track I'm sitting there like, "Man, that looks crazy!"

Conrad should have won. He kept the correct line with tons of angle and followed pretty decently at times. Daigo is obviously the best at following, but sacrificed line and angle. At the end of the day, Daigo just made more excitement over Conrad.

As for JTP and Daigo, I think JTP should have kept quiet and brought the issue up to the judges and Formula Drift staff in a calm manner to see if it's something they'll look into at future events. I know JTP was furious by the way he left the track after his spin, but he should have calmed his ass down.

Conrad should have won. He kept the correct line with tons of angle and followed pretty decently at times. Daigo is obviously the best at following, but sacrificed line and angle. At the end of the day, Daigo just made more excitement over Conrad.

I don't know about the pro's but in pro-am anyway they tell us in the driver's meeting to you can sacrifice line/angle for proximity and not get penalized too much (although it seems you don't at all).

Bottom line is FD is looking for exciting runs with close proximity above all else.

Off topic but what's up with the announcer in that video saying "I'm not a huge fan of the community here in FL" after Ryan said he wasn't going to CFRC?

:driving:
I don't know about the pro's but in pro-am anyway they tell us in the driver's meeting to you can sacrifice line/angle for proximity and not get penalized too much (although it seems you don't at all).

Bottom line is FD is looking for exciting runs with close proximity above all else.

Exactly according to what te judges said they were looking for Conrad def did not win

I think JTP was taken out by Daigos brake check and or correction.(watch Daigos front brake light)
When you go up against someone in a tandem battle you should know their driving style,and on entry you should have room for correction from the lead car.when you think of your lead run and the guy that is about to give you a run for your money, you think of a game plan on how your going to pull out a win. that was diagos plan.I think we will see some hell of alot more heated actions of this happens again.too bad Chelsea didnt take him out.

yea thats the first time they have ever said that and it makes no sense really. but ok if you want to do that ok, but the fact that Conrad didn't sacrifice to stay near daigo was more impressive to me. Sure daigo was a little closer maybe, but so what, he was missing the "hard part" of the line when following.

and when watching judging for qualifying...

Rhys got a high 50s fora run that was DAMN GOOD minus not being wide on the last clip. then we watch guys come in all super sketchy and akward pulling in the same or better scores. the judging seemed ok, but too wishy washy on what gave a good score. they kept saying the first section gives the most points, and then not docking guys who where shallow or not using the width of the entry. and in tandem, ryan kept saying people were offline/outside after the actual outside zone, but in the drivers meeting they call it a late apex which = staying outside quite a while. make up your minds fellas.

*on a personal observation.... if Jarod gets excited for your mediocre qualifying run = 10 to 15 bonus points.

I think JTP was taken out by Daigos brake check and or correction.(watch Daigos front brake light)
When you go up against someone in a tandem battle you should know their driving style,and on entry you should have room for correction from the lead car.when you think of your lead run and the guy that is about to give you a run for your money, you think of a game plan on how your going to pull out a win. that was diagos plan.I think we will see some hell of alot more heated actions of this happens again.too bad Chelsea didnt take him out.

He almost did lol And not beating him in tandem almost knocked him out the track

The video really clears it up. JTP came shallow after Daigo threw it gangsta, Daigo taps brake coming up to transition and JTP tries to add more angle, hits brake as Daigo begins to transition and spins. JTP spun himself out trying to show off.

Back
Top Bottom