corolla comparison

P

pjmrnolife

Ive driven basically stock 240s all my life and wondering about a change. My first question is of coarse from your opinion of driving which is better? Which is easier to work on? Would this change be a downgrade because from what ive heard corollas are harder to drift, (drifting being what id be using it for) but they say if you can drift a corolla u can drift anything...since i dont know shi* ....whats pulling me the corolla way is the price just to buy a stock one 240s are just getting to expensive and if the aftermarket prices are usually steady i might as well start with a cheaper car to buy i suppose.

obviously you can tell im lost! thanx

a 240 is easier to work on, cheaper to work on, easier to get parts to work on, and is just a better overall vehicle to get if you are gonna start drifting and dont have a sponsership cuz you are gonna fuck parts up and goodluck finding corollas at the junkyard.

and in reality, IMO, the s13 is much better than the corolla, I've owned both and the corolla is cool and fun to drive and all but it's still a corolla in the end... with the money you wuold spend trying to make it a worthwhile competitive drift car, you could buy a house basically.

corollas are over priced..but you can buy a 240 for alot less then you can buy a gts, unless your trying to buy a sr5 and if you are dont waist your money. go with the 240 they belong in the hands of a beginner not the corolla...save a rolla put a newb in a 240

+1 ...........240 ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT cheaper...alot......;earn on 240's

240 FTW! Picked up my 93 for 1500 dollars. Just had to fix the radiator....picked up my 95 that i drive now for 1300 dollars...just had to replace the battery....Get a 240...they really are cheaper...you just have to have patience. The aftermarket venue for the 240sx is almost comparible to Hondas...Big and cheap

A few years back the ae86 were a lot cheaper, I got mine at a good price like 3yrs ago. Now with the Initial D/drifting tax they cost way too much but if you look around there are still good deals out there. Now about the aftermarket for the 86 compared to the 240 it's small but the companies that do have parts for it are very good (T3, Illegal Garage, Cusco, BattleVersion, etc) and some are hardcore ae86 lovers. To truely make a car competive will cost a good amount of $$, tuning(suspension and engine) and most importantly skill be it in a 240 or ae86.

The whole "if you drive the ae86 well, you can drive anything" argument has been talked about for awhile now. The truth is anything underpowered and rwd will teach you how to drift well. It forces you since you can't just drop the hammer down and counter-steer. What makes the 86 a little harder to drift is the shorter wheelbase, you better have some fast steering work in an ae86. Just compare techniques of NOB, Kazama or any high level driver in a Nissan to the ae86 drivers Ueo, Komoro, Hibino, Yoshioka and in the past Gen Terasaki. You will see the Nissan drivers have smooth driving technique(Kazama probably has one of the best steering techniques in drifting) and have flowing drifts while the ae86 drivers basically drive like madmen.

Last edited:
The Redline 03 said:
A few years back the ae86 were a lot cheaper, I got mine at a good price like 3yrs ago. Now with the Initial D/drifting tax they cost way too much but if you look around there are still good deals out there. Now about the aftermarket for the 86 compared to the 240 it's small but the companies that do have parts for it are very good (T3, Illegal Garage, Cusco, BattleVersion, etc) and some are hardcore ae86 lovers. To truely make a car competive will cost a good amount of $$, tuning(suspension and engine) and most importantly skill be it in a 240 or ae86.

The whole "if you drive the ae86 well, you can drive anything" argument has been talked about for awhile now. The truth is anything underpowered and rwd will teach you how to drift well. It forces you since you can't just drop the hammer down and counter-steer. What makes the 86 a little harder to drift is the shorter wheelbase, you better have some fast steering work in an ae86. Just compare techniques of NOB, Kazama or any high level driver in a Nissan to the ae86 drivers Ueo, Komoro, Hibino, Yoshioka and in the past Gen Terasaki. You will see the Nissan drivers have smooth driving technique(Kazama probably has one of the best steering techniques in drifting) and have flowing drifts while the ae86 drivers basically drive like madmen.

Totally true. The 86 is for someone who hardcore about those cars. They are hard to work on, and find parts. And a car that old is usually going to break down. Mine breaks down everywhere. It really is fun, but it's also a bitch. Everyone who has owned one knows what I am talking about. I love my 86, but it pisses me off everyday. Keep the 240, and start building it. It's cheaper, and less maintenence.

why do you keep your corollas if they arent as good as a 240?

pjmrnolife said:

Many factors. Older, lower power, pricier, structure of the car needs to be massively tweaked to become competitive, solid axle rear end makes it less predictable. A nicely equipped N/A 4AG (not fully tuned) can make about 140-150 whp. Not only does an SR powered 240 make more power to the wheels, it's cheaper to swap in an SR into a 240 than build a 4AG. A nicely built SR20 can make 250-300 whp, again, not fully tuned. Look at Greg's car. Suspension is easier to find for a 240 than a Corolla, and when you lower the Corolla exesively, you need a lot of other parts, like RCAs, lateral rod bar, short stroke shocks, and blah blah blah, and it gets expensive. With a 240, get a used set of coilovers from Drag International, and you have a great handling car, and ride height adjustability. Coilovers for the Corolla are expensive, and, IMHO, are impracticable for a car that isn't for serious motorsports. I plan on getting TRD springs and short strokes, and that will be my set up for a good while. I will advance to coilovers if I think I am in need of them. I am sticking to the Corolla, because I have loved those cars for quite a while now, and I am an old school import fan. Driving the Corolla is a true pleasure to me, but it's not the same story for everyone. When I got my first Corolla, I didn't know what I was getting into, but I ended up loving the damn car. If I have never had the chance to get my first one, and have the knowledge I have now, I wouldn't have even thought of getting a Corolla. Those cars are a bitch and a half, but now I love the cars so much, I can care less for a 240, but I still love 240s too. What you should do is go test drive a good one, see if the car feels suitable for you. If you like the car, and you are willing to put up with the BS they give you, go for it. Here is a link to my friend's Corolla. It's a GT-S, and it's pretty damn nice. Go check it out, and see if you like it. http://www.sfldrifters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4535&page=1&pp=15

Also, what makes the AE86 so legendary is not just drifting. Drifting is like something they are known to do, but it's not meant to drift. No car is meant to drift, there are better cars to drift than others. It's just a nice handling, affordable (back in the day), fun car. But it's not a car to go win races with it (unless you are Tsuchiya, he made it legendary).

im a fan boy......lmao....ok......i dont need to explain myself, theres only a few cars i would ever drive, an s13, a jzz30, and a rolla, s13...cant anymore, sc300 = boats, and ive always loved corollas (before initial d) just drive wut u drive.........but learn on 240's.......intake exhaust heated springsadvanced timing = drift car
corolla + 9999999999999999$ ok drift car

i love driving corollas .....they are very rewarding cars....like watching a gokart race it looks like they are going 15mph but to the drivers sticking the corners it feels like 65mph. i had an early 87 blue coupe GTS but too much rust so i got rid of it for my FC. i should have kept in untill i found a clean SR5 and swapped everything. but no i was retarded. i never drove it on the street but the lots i had it stored sure got tore up. i'm friends with alot of 86 owners and most of them drift very well with just exhaust. but we don't drift ovals up there.

oh and stock 86's i mean with celica supra rims.....that should be assumed

pjmrnolife said:

Well, once you fall for the ae86 there really is no looking back, there's a reason why its become a cult car. It's the driving experience that gets people hooked on it. Once you drive it stock and then add mods to it the car is incredible. Be it drifting or grip the car can do both well with the proper driver of course. I still find it amazing everytime I see 20yr old ae86 lining up with brand new cars(GTO,Vipers, STis, etc) and beats them in D1, FD or any other series around the world. I guess another reason people get the car is the underdog mentality, to win in something that is hard to win in.

PS Hey jdm ae86t whats the deal with the car man. What's the problem with the 86 maybe I can help out, I'll try atleast. Pm me if you want.

its so nice to see a guy in a rolla throwing his arms everywhere whipping it around! a guy in 240 is so relaxed and smooth. its a choice i guess.. having fun with the difficulty or the easyness. either way i just need more practice..sigh

I suggest just keep what you have, practice a lot, and by a reliable daily car. I have huge respect for all the people who use their daily driver as a drift car. I just can't imagine a daily driver drift car to be reliable after all the abuse it gets from drifting. Just make the car you have now reliable and driftable(locking diff and suspension). Do all this gradually, worry more about tires and maintaining the car ready for battle(oil, brakes, tranny, etc).

Back
Top Bottom